So as many people know, I haven’t exactly been super happy in my current job but haven’t had much of a chance to look around for something new, let alone actually change jobs.
I could just be making excuses, but between moving flats and planning my recent holiday, I kept telling myself that I’d wait until the New Year before I started looking for a new job. I just wanted to get myself settled in the flat and enjoy my impending holidays, and then I’d get going on my job search.
Just like anything, the best laid plans usually go astray.
I was totally getting excited about going away in about a week’s time when the managers called the entire administrative staff into the conference room. We’d been noticing there had been several ‘impromptu’ meetings at the office with some higher ups from head office, as were understandably leery going in.
Well didn’t we all get the shock of the week… they announced that in 4 weeks, they were merging all the domestic administrative staff together. At head office. In Ewell, which is on the outer edge of London.. barely.
As it stands, that’s in about a week’s time. Damn.
From a business point of view, I can understand the centralisation as it could lead to higher efficiency, as well as a reduction in overall payroll since each department would deal with all the contracts instead of just one or two.
For our point of view, this couldn’t have come at a worst time. Not only did they want to move us to head office, which would cost each of us a lot more in transport, but they wanted it all done by December 9th.. just before Christmas.
A lot of people already travel over an hour to get to work each day. I know I used to when I lived at my old place. And if I had had to travel to head office from there.. well, it just wouldn’t have been possible.
The timing was especially bad for me, as we were given the news on a Wednesday and I was going on holidays the following Monday. And we’d been given an initial deadline of Tuesday to advise whether we’d be transferring to head office.. so because of my holiday, I had about 48 hours to make up my mind.
They’d purposely left everything last minute (which is sadly legal..) so that we’d have no choice but to agree to moving to head office. Or quit.. well, technically accept redundancy, although hardly anyone would actually qualify for any sort of payment.
That’s right.. once again I was faced with redundancy. I’d last went through this at my old old company when the contract I’d worked on got moved North to a small town called Crewe, up towards Manchester.
The last thing I want to do is have to travel close to 2 hours each way just so I have a job.. but it’s looking like I’m going to have to, as I haven’t had much luck looking for something new outside the company. I’ll have to leave for work around 6am each day, possibly not getting home until at least 7pm.
There goes any hopes of a social life, huh?
I’ll just have to make the best out of a bad situation.. which is why I’ve applied for a couple new positions within the company, one of which is similar to my current one and would allow me to stay at my current office. The other position is a manager role at head office, because if I’m going to have to make the trek there every day, I might as well do it for more money.
There’s no guarantee that I’ll get either role, but it doesn’t hurt to try at least… and my preference is clearly the role at my current office. Mostly for the easy trek to work.
So fingers crossed things go well and something comes up.. again.