As usual, the beginning of the year brings us into award season for all sorts of things. Though what mostly sticks out for me is those in the entertainment world – Grammys, Oscars, Brit Awards, People’s Choice Awards, and so forth.
Well awards season isn’t restricted to just the world of entertainment. It also happens in the blogging world, where certain awards will float around the blogosphere and repeat nominations will undoubtedly come back to you.
The one that always stands out for me is the Liebster Award, as I was nominated for this same blogging honour back in April 2013.
For anyone who’s unaware of it, the Liebster Award seems to be a viral blogging ‘award’ started back in 2010 or so as a way to highlight fellow bloggers the nominator enjoy and want to highlight to their own readers. There’s no actual award or anything, but more the knowledge that someone connected enough with what you’ve written to give you some extra notice.
This time around I’ve been nominated by Mark S. Simpson, formerly known as elementalprofundity.wordpress.com, and as I wrote to him at the time, I am very honoured that he nominated me.
Ok, so this happened a couple weeks ago.. I’ve been meaning to write about the nomination and such, but just hadn’t gotten around to it.
All right, so here are the apparent rules:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link to his or her blog.
- You must answer the 10 questions given to you by the nominee.
- Nominate 10 of your favorite blogs with fewer than 200 followers and notify them of their nomination.
- Come up with 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
(Funnily, if you go to my previous post about being nominated for this, you’ll notice the rules are slightly different, and ‘Liebster’ is spelled differently as well. LOL)
Now on to the questions posed by Mark:
- If you suddenly had the power to change the world, where would you begin this task and why? – By changing how closed minded the world is to anything that isn’t supposedly ‘normal’, and not just with the homophobes of the world. We should celebrate our differences and embrace it in those around us instead of being hateful or violent.
- To what extent do social issues affect your writing or other endeavors? – Here and there, depending on the issue. I do try to write about what is going on in the world and how it affects my world (if at all), but at the same time there are some things happening in the world that I’ve chosen not to write about, just because it’s been done to death.
- How important is language and are there other ways of communication that we haven’t used effectively? – Language is very important, because without it we wouldn’t be right here writing (and you reading) this post. I think we haven’t effectively used the power of HUGS to its full potential. Everyone loves a good hug. 😀
- What book most provoked your conscience and caused you to want to do something? – This is hard to pin-point, as I’ve been a voracious reader since I was quite young, and have read many books over the years. I’d have to say perhaps it was being drawn into the worlds created by Stephen King and Piers Anthony (among others) as a young teen that made me see the power of the written word and awaken a desire to write myself.. although this didn’t manifest until later in life.
- Why are bullies still bullying young and old people and what (if anything) can be done to stop it? – Slap them upside the head? No matter how much we educate people and make them more socially aware of their actions, bullies unfortunately will not go away. As a society we have such a horrible habit of wanting to put others down to make ourselves feel better about ourselves.
- Do you believe our systems of justice are fair and if not what can be done? – I’m no expert on the fairness of the judiciary system, but from different news articles I read, it does seem to be somewhat biased depending on who is making the judgement in each case. There is no way to not have one’s personal experiences mold what is considered fair or not, because this is different for each person.
- What is your greatest fear? – The same as most I suppose – to be alone. To be forgotten by those who ‘care’ and left to my own devices well into my old age, where most get forgotten.
- What is your greatest hope? – Personally, to become self-sufficient in life through my writing, and to be able to live life through my writing.
- Which person most influenced the course of your life and why? – This is difficult, because many different people influenced my life in so many different ways. I’ve never had one particular ‘mentor’ or someone I’ve looked up to.
- If you were to paint your self-portrait, in what fashion would you do so and what would it look like? – It would be a stick figure, so for once I’d actually look skinny in a picture. 😉
Now I’d like to do something different from the usual instructions – nominate the readers who come by all of our blogs, be them fellow bloggers, friends, or people who’ve just found us through Google. If it wasn’t for the people that read our rants and diatribes, possibly none of us would even be here.
At the same time, I’d like to ‘showcase’ the following blogs for your reading pleasure. I’m not listing them to have them continue the Liebster/Leibster Award chain (unless they want to lol), but instead to hopefully get a few of you beautiful readers to check them out .. and hopefully enjoy them as much as I do.
And this list is most definitely not exhaustive, as there are way too many blogs out there that I enjoy to list here (some can be found in my Weblinks section at the top of the page).
Oh.. I will warn you, some of these are NSFW (Not Suitable For Work) so be careful if you’re at work or around little ones. 😀
- A Guy Without Boxers – A blog about a same-gender naturalist.
- Gays of South London – A humour blog about gays living south of The Thames
- Single Dad Laughing – My favourite blog out there, a mix of the world around us and his personal stories.
- Gay Star News – a global LGBTI news, entertainment, travel and features website.
- Wicked Gay Blog – a gay blog on all things life, pop culture, politics, people, and so forth.
- The Bear And The Bees – A relatively new blog about a cub in Bristol, UK.
- The Grindr Diaries – Exactly as it says in the title, adventures of a guy dating through Grindr.
- Lindaghill – I write. I observe. And then I write some more.
- Thingsmyexsaid – a humorous look at being dumped
- Clouds Moving In – a journalist by training, not just some wannabe who thinks they can string a few words together.
- Flights, Tights, and Movie Nights – A movie blog, mostly around superhero movies.
- Str8 Side of Gay – The Homo-erotic, (Sometimes Neurotic), Life of a Str8 Guy Trying to Figure it Out
- Connerhabib’s Blog – Lecturer, writing coach, porn star.
- Upworthy – Things that matter. Pass them on.
Enjoy and thanks for coming by. 😀